Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Singapore's culture

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/cgi-bin/search/search_7days.pl?status=&search=881&id=299668

Contrary to the previous four pieces I had reflected on, this one is unique, in that it is not directly reflective of the original article procured; rather, a “link” to it which I find worth discussing.

Having crossed the S$3 million mark at the box office, “881” by Royston Tan has become the “highest grossing Asian film in Singapore for 2007.”

“881 tells the story of two childhood friends who grow up mesmerized by the glitz and glamour of ‘Getai’ and dream of one day performing on the ‘Getai’ stage. After being blessed by the Goddess of ‘Getai’, they fulfill their dreams and become the most sought-after pair of ‘Getai’ singers ever.

Unbeknownst to them, rival sister group the Durian Sisters have become intensely jealous of the Papayas' success, and are determined to trip them up by messing up their schedule. With the help of their gangster Godfather, the Durians succeed in shutting the Papayas out of many ‘Getai’ performances. The movie climaxes with a dramatic musical battle. Both sides pull out all the stops to win over the audience.”
(http://www.moviexclusive.com/review/881/881.htm)


However, amidst all the brouhaha and rave reviews about Royston Tan’s production, I was set thinking by issues that transcend beyond the film.

“Getais” (歌台), heavily featured in this film, have been an integral part of the Ghost Festival locally. With the performers conversing predominantly in Hokkien, the older generation would, in general, enjoy the boisterous performances, and even sing along to the familiar melodies from “their generation”, which are part of a typical “getai”’s repertoire.

Nevertheless, a regrettable trend has slowly started to surface. With the unveiling of younger and more attractive stars now a common occurrence, the younger and, dare I say, more fickle-minded generation would, stereotypically yet quite accurately, relate to “getais” as kitsch.

One of the many examples, “getais” have gone to show just how much our unique Singapore culture has, slowly but steadily, been eroded away over the years.

As though swallowed by a tidal wave, the various forms of culture unique to this “little red dot”, widely appreciated by those of the previous generations, have been replaced by contemporary pop artistes like Jay Chou and Eminem. Subsequently, as their appeal among the masses dwindles, their previous fame and reputation diminish to naught but dust-covered memories.

This is most lamentable. Replacing our very own culture, are foreign artistes possessing undoubtedly beguiling styles, whose scandals probably receive more coverage than that of all our local starlets combined.

And again, who are those complaining about Singapore’s supposed dearth of talent and creative juices?

I admit- I probably am being biased and exaggerative here. But a chinese musical (If There’re Seasons by The Theatre Practice) I watched with my 22-year old cousin a month back is probably a most real indication of this alarming trend.

Inspired by the popular hits of local songwriting sensation, Mr Liang Wern Fook, the many xinyaos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinyao) featured were virtually unheard of, for me at least. Contrarily, my cousin, merely seven years my senior, was humming away with the tunes. It surprised me to know that many of them were the motifs he had grown up listening to in his cradle. A mere seven years time had lapsed between our births, yet the culture I had been exposed to was radically different from his.

Indeed, I do not deny the exciting colours that foreign styles can bring to the spectrum of our local arts scene. However, if we do so at the cost of compromising what I strongly believe to be our unique identity, one which can withstand the barrage of time, to be recognised by generations after ours.

I am proud to be a Singaporean, and I believe many share my sentiments. Personally, it would pain me to see Singapore’s cultural scene end up as nothing more than the “replicas” of others.

In my opinion, the unique Singaporean culture, like all of Singapore’s history, has a well-deserved spot in the heritage of our nation. Skeptics may refute this claim, arguing that Singapore does not even possess her own unique culture. And that is exactly where we, as Singaporeans, should be out to prove them wrong!

From the “getais” to “xinyao”, these are all parts of our culture we should strive to preserve, not shun. For these are where our roots lie, these are what make Singapore, and these are what the future generations have the right to know about.